1909 The Right Reverend Joseph Horsfall Johnson, Bishop of Los Angeles, founded The Bishop’s School. A day school opened in Bankers Hill while a boarding school was planned for La Jolla. Money and land for La Jolla campus donated by founders Ellen Browning Scripps and Eliza Virginia Scripps.
1910 The first graduating class received diplomas. Scripps Hall, designed by Irving Gill, dedicated.
1912 Bentham Hall, designed by Irving Gill, dedicated.
1913 The Bishop’s School’s first athletic teams were founded: “Harvard” and “Yale.”
1914 The senior class selected Eliza Virginia Scripps as their mascot. Students created the first yearbook, later named El Miradero.
1915 Anna Frances Bentham, first headmistress, died. Margaret Gilman succeeded her.
1917 Names of sports teams changed to “Army” and “Navy” after the U.S. entered World War I. Gilman Hall, designed by Irving Gill, completed. St. Mary’s Chapel, designed by Carleton Monroe Winslow, dedicated.
1918 Margaret Gilman retired and was succeeded by Marguerite Barton.
1920 Names of sports teams changed to “Purple” and “Gold” to honor Ellen Browning Scripps’ alma mater, Knox College. Marguerite Barton died. Caroline Cummins succeeded her as headmistress.
1921 Eliza Virginia Scripps died.
1922 Male students stopped attending The Bishop’s School.
1923 The first student council was formed. The Altar Guild was established. The Scripps sisters established a scholarship fund. A graduating senior was awarded the Loyalty Cup for exemplifying the motto of the School: Simplicity, Serenity, Sincerity.
1928 The Right Reverend Joseph Horsfall Johnson died. The School was enclosed by a wall to provide privacy and safety from traffic.
1929 Louis Gill designed the recreation room in Scripps Hall.
1930 Second floor added to Bentham Hall. Bishop Johnson Tower added to St. Mary’s Chapel.
1932 Ellen Browning Scripps died. The first school newspaper, The Junior Journal, began. It was later named Sahatika (1944-74), and The Tower (1978-present).
1934 The Alumnae News was founded, later known as The Bishop’s School News (1958) and the Bulletin (1971). Architect Carleton Monroe Winslow designed the Wheeler J. Bailey building.
1938 St. Mary’s Chapel expanded to include transepts and a baptistery.
1941 The School joined the California Association of Independent Schools.
1946 The first T-Day mascots appeared: the Purple Monkey and the Golden Bear.
1947 Alumnae donated chimes in Bishop Johnson Tower.
1948 The Father’s Council formed to encourage cooperation between staff and parents.
1953 Caroline Cummins resigned after a 33-year tenure. Rosamond Larmour succeeded her as headmistress.
1956 The School’s Cum Laude Society chapter was established.
1957 The Mother’s Council was established.
1959 The Bishop’s School celebrates its 50th anniversary. Architect John Robert Mosher and Roy Morse Drew designed Cummins Hall. Faculty housing behind Wheeler J. Bailey building was constructed.
1962 Rosamond Larmour resigned. Florence Bill served as acting headmistress.
1963 Ruth Jenkins became headmistress.
1966 The Bishop’s School first evaluated by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
1969 Ellen Browning Scripps Hall, designed by Mosher & Drew, was completed.
1971 Ruth Jenkins retired as headmistress. She was replaced by Philip Powers Perkins.
1972 The Bishop’s School mergered with San Miguel School for Boys.
1974 Philip Powers Perkins resigned as headmaster.
1975 Dorothy Anne Williams was appointed as headmistress.
1978 Summer school held for the first time.
1981 Board of Trustees announced the decision to close the boarding program at the end of 1982-83.
1982 Dorothy Williams resigned. Mark Campaigne appointed interim head.
1983 T-Day held for the last time. The Eva May Fleet Athletic Center, the Rutherford Science Wing, and the Manchester Tennis Center dedicated. Cummins Hall converted into classrooms.
1984 Michael Teitelman became headmaster. The Bishop’s School celebrated its 75th Anniversary.
1986 The Parents’ Association held the first annual auction.
1988 Classrooms added to Scripps Hall.
1991 The Bishop’s School won a Blue Ribbon of Excellence from the U.S. Department of Education. Grades 7-12 began going on annual retreats.
1995 The Taylor Performing Arts Center dedicated.
1996 The Emily Fenton Hunte Black ’28 Computer Center dedicated.
1997 The Alex G. Spanos Athletic Field at Kate Session Elementary School dedicated.
1999 The Ellen Brown Scripps Davis ’28 Language Laboratory dedicated.
2004 Advanced Placement Biology program recognized as strongest in nation by College Board. McCain Family Aquatic Center and Buddy & Barbara Murfey Memorial Pool dedicated.
2005 For second consecutive year, Advanced Placement Biology program recognized as strongest in nation by College Board. Parking garage and athletic fields constructed. Historic Reading Room (Volunteer Center) renovated.
2007 The Wall Street Journal selects The Bishop’s School as one of the top 40 high schools in the country to send students to selective colleges such as Harvard, Princeton and MIT.
2008 Science center named Michael & Marlene Teitelman Science Center.
2009 Michael W. Teitelman retires as headmaster. Aimeclaire Roche became head of school.
2012 Manchester Library & Learning Center dedicated.
2013 Former headmistress Rosamond Larmour Loomis died. Renovation of Ellen Browning Scripps Hall began.
2014 The yearlong renovation of Ellen Browning Scripps Hall was completed in the fall of 2014. Built in 1969, this facility houses the School's kitchen and dining facilities, vocal and instrumental music studios and classrooms, and offices for the dean of students, counselor and nurse.