Mrs. Ruth Downey was a dorm mother at Bishop's in the 1960s and 1970s. Annie Wolterstorff Love '65 met Mrs. Downey's niece, Linda, through a book club. When they realized their shared Bishop's connection, they made the plan to bring Linda's 97-year-old mother, Mrs. Radtke (Mrs. Downey's sister), to see the memorial bench purchased in 2000 by the Class of 1965 in Mrs. Downey's honor. Today, the bench is located in the Ruth Jenkins Memorial Garden. Mrs. Radtke was delighted to see the bench, and fondly recalled some of her sister's experiences at The Bishop's School.
The Bishop’s School is an independent, coeducational college-preparatory day school for students in grades six through twelve who live throughout San Diego County. Founded in 1909, the School is affiliated with the Episcopal church.