Additional outdoor classrooms are now available on the upper and lower tennis courts, as well as in several other outdoor spaces. With whiteboards, tables, desks and dividing panels, there are ten dedicated spaces on the tennis courts, one on the Scripps Lawn, and one in the Prospect garden.
Since they’re not soundproof, the School is avoiding putting classes next to one another in the same tent at the same time. In addition, some sides have “walls,” while some sides remain open for ventilation and light. Academic dean Janice Murabayashi notes, “The orientation of the ‘rooms’ in the tennis tents is intentional. The facilities team thoughtfully oriented the rooms so that the spot where the teacher is likely to be isn’t right up against another teacher. The ‘walls’ will ensure that students aren’t distracted by students in other ‘rooms.’”
Each room has a fire extinguisher, and traffic flow in and out of the spaces has been designed to aid in physical distancing.
The Bishop’s School is an independent, coeducational college-preparatory day school for students in grades six through twelve who live throughout San Diego County. Founded in 1909, the School is affiliated with the Episcopal church.