The Bishop’s School sees all students as talented and distinctive. Often, however, even the most academically capable students will need additional support or help in specific areas or with skills, such as organizing their work, taking notes, and studying for quizzes and tests. The Learning Center is a supplementary resource for students who want to manage and organize the multiple demands of student life and strengthen their study habits. This resource is free for all Bishop's students.
The Learning Center’s primary objective is to help students become independent learners who are aware of their learning strengths and challenges and who can advocate successfully for their educational needs.
The Learning Center at The Bishop’s School has two key goals:
1. To empower students in their pursuits of lifelong learning.
2. To reach and to teach students before they experience academic frustrations and minimize their current frustrations related to learning & studying.
What The Learning Center can do for Bishop’s students:
- Enhance success at Bishop’s through the discovery of one’s individual modality preferences
- Learn strategies necessary for academic success
- Improve study skills, organization and life management, motivation, note-taking and test-taking strategies
- Enhance active listening and reading skills
- Improve organization of materials and preparation for exams
- Learn how to deal with procrastination and other school-related concerns
- Build positive homework habits
- Provide extra academic support and guidance
Individualized attention offers a venue for students to discuss their academic strengths and areas of concern. During an initial appointment, students will be introduced to their current modality preferences for learning and specific strategies to unlock those approaches for maximum application and efficiency to help them to succeed at Bishop’s and, ultimately, at the college/university level. The Learning Center will work with students to develop a personalized plan of action for academic success. Moreover, students will walk away with a new way to view their learning and a realization that learning really can be fun!