1909 The Right Reverend Joseph Horsfall Johnson, Bishop of Los Angeles, founded The Bishop’s School. A day school opened in Bankers Hill while a boarding school was planned for La Jolla. Money and land for La Jolla campus donated by founders Ellen Browning Scripps and Eliza Virginia Scripps.
1910 The first graduating class received diplomas. Scripps Hall, designed by Irving Gill, dedicated.
1912 Bentham Hall, designed by Irving Gill, dedicated.
1913 The Bishop’s School’s first athletic teams were founded: “Harvard” and “Yale.”
1917 Gilman Hall, designed by Irving Gill, completed. St. Mary’s Chapel, designed by Carleton Monroe Winslow, dedicated.
1920 Names of sports teams changed to “Purple” and “Gold” to honor Ellen Browning Scripps’ alma mater, Knox College.
1923 The first student council was formed. A graduating senior was awarded the Loyalty Cup for exemplifying the motto of the School: Simplicity, Serenity, Sincerity.
1928 The School was enclosed by a wall to provide privacy and safety from traffic.
1930 Second floor added to Bentham Hall. Bishop Johnson Tower added to St. Mary’s Chapel.
1932 The first school newspaper, The Junior Journal, began. It was later named Sahatika (1944-74), and The Tower (1978-present).
1934 Architect Carleton Monroe Winslow designed the Wheeler J. Bailey building.
1941 The School joined the California Association of Independent Schools.
1946 The first T-Day mascots appeared: the Purple Monkey and the Golden Bear.
1956 The School’s Cum Laude Society chapter was established.
1959 The Bishop’s School celebrates its 50th anniversary. Architect John Robert Mosher and Roy Morse Drew designed Cummins Hall.
1969 Ellen Browning Scripps Hall, designed by Mosher & Drew, was completed.
1971 The Bishop’s School merged with San Miguel School for Boys.
1978 Summer school held for the first time.
1981 Board of Trustees announced the decision to close the boarding program at the end of 1982-83.
1983 T-Day held for the last time. The Eva May Fleet Athletic Center, the Rutherford Science Wing and the Manchester Tennis Center dedicated. Cummins Hall converted into classrooms.
1984 The Bishop’s School celebrated its 75th Anniversary.
1986 The Parents’ Association held the first annual auction.
1995 The Taylor Performing Arts Center dedicated.
1996 The Emily Fenton Hunte Black ’28 Computer Center dedicated.
1997 The Alex G. Spanos Athletic Field at Kate Session Elementary School dedicated.
2004 McCain Family Aquatic Center and Buddy & Barbara Murfey Memorial Pool dedicated.
2005 Parking garage and athletic fields constructed.
2007 The Wall Street Journal selects The Bishop’s School as one of the top 40 high schools in the country to send students to selective colleges.
2008 Science center named Michael & Marlene Teitelman Science Center.
2012 Manchester Library & Learning Center dedicated.
2014 The yearlong renovation of Ellen Browning Scripps Hall was completed in the fall of 2014. Built in 1969, this facility houses the School's kitchen and dining facilities, vocal and instrumental music studios and classrooms, and offices for the dean of students, counselor and nurse.