Carol Barry joined Bishop’s in 2010 as head of middle school, and she became interim head of school in August 2018. Prior to Bishop’s, Carol had a 27-year career with the San Diego Unified School District as a teacher, vice principal, principal and area superintendent overseeing 29 schools. Carol has worked as a consultant for the Council for Basic Education, and she participated in the Edna McConnell Clark Reform Initiative and Harvard’s Performance Assessment Collaboratives in Education (PACE) Project.
On July 1, 2009, Aimeclaire Lambert Roche began her tenure as the 11th head of school at The Bishop’s School. Ms. Roche came to Bishop's from the Groton School where she was the assistant head of school and instructor of Latin. Prior to Groton, she spent 10 years at St. Andrew’s School as department head of classical languages and instructor of Latin and Ancient Greek. At St. Andrews, she also served for five years as director of college counseling.
Michael Teitelman began as headmaster at Bishop’s in 1983. When arriving on campus with his wife, Marlene, and his sons, Jeff '90 and Mark '88. Mr. Teitelman’s first order of business was to work with the board in the development of a strategic plan that would carry the School through the 20th century and into the 21st. It was a plan that called for increasing operating funds and the School’s endowment, allowing Bishop’s to expand academic and athletic programs, attract the best faculty, increase diversity, and upgrade and renovate the School’s infrastructure. Prior to Bishop's Mr. Teitelman was headmaster at Graland Country Day School in Denver, Colorado.
Dorothy Williams spent 10 years at St. Anne’s School in North Carolina before serving as director of residence and music teacher at the Annie Wright Seminary. She came to Bishop’s in 1963 to be the director of residence and senior advisor. Miss Williams was promoted to director of the upper school in 1972 and appointed headmistress in 1975. Miss Williams was involved in the planning of Hunte Field, the Eva May Fleet Athletic Center, the Rutherford Science Wing and the Manchester Tennis Center. Quiet, but with a keen eye for details, her most challenging decision was to recommend the closure of the boarding department to the board of trustees.
Roy Perkins served as a pilot in the U.S. Air Force during World War II and later taught English at St. Albans School and Grosse Point University School. His career also included being the principal of the Sidwell Friends School, assistant headmaster at the Hockaday School for Girls, and headmaster at the Marlborough School in Los Angeles. Mr. Perkins was named headmaster-elect in 1970. It was at this time that the plans for merging the San Miguel School for Boys with Bishop’s were first advanced; a plan that Mr. Perkins would implement in 1971.
Ruth Jenkins taught elementary and junior high school in Oregon, Idaho and Hawaii, but it was as headmistress of the Annie Wright Seminary in Washington that Miss Jenkins came to be respected as a leader in college preparatory education. Close to retirement age, Miss Jenkins was initially reluctant to leave Annie Wright to come to Bishop’s. Through her leadership, major renovations occurred on campus: the creation of a new Gillman Hall entrance to the School, completion of Ellen Browning Scripps Hall and the tennis courts. With multiple building projects and the social upheaval of the 1960s, “RJ” as she was affectionately called, worked with the Board in planning the merger with the San Miguel School for Boys. Upon retiring, Miss Jenkins was made headmistress emeritus and an honorary member of the Class of 1971.
Florence Bill held positions with the Ohio Foundation of Independent Colleges and the Laurel School in Cleveland, arriving at Bishop’s in 1958 from New York University to take the new position of academic assistant. During the search for a new head of school, Mrs. Bill, who at that time was the director of admissions, took the position of acting headmistress. In recognition of her fine work, the board recognized her with the title of headmistress retroactive to the beginning of the 1962-1963 school year.
Rosamond Larmour was a teacher and the assistant to the dean of the New Jersey College for Women and later the head resident and admissions assistant at Middlebury College. She taught at Hollins College before becoming the principal of the upper school at the Hockaday School in Dallas. Miss Larmour’s varied experience with institutions of learning for women allowed her to institute changes that helped bring Bishop’s into the second half of the 20th century. An increase in the enrollment led to the hiring of additional staff, including the first male teachers since the early days of the School, and the construction of Cummins Hall in 1959. In addition, new faculty housing and a home for the headmistress were completed. When Miss Larmour resigned in 1962, enrollment stood at 302 students, a 50 percent increase during her years as head of school.
Caroline Cummins was on the faculty of the Cambridge School for Young Ladies and taught there until she resigned in the wake of the school’s merger. Visiting relatives in Hawaii, she received a telegram requesting her to teach Latin, Greek and English at The Bishop’s School starting in the fall of 1920. She was happy to join her friend Headmistress Marguerite Barton, a colleague from the Cambridge School. In the aftermath of Miss Barton’s untimely death, an extensive search was launched for a new head, but Bishop Johnson was not pleased with any of the candidates and chose instead to promote the 33-year-old Miss Cummins to the position.
New buildings included the gymnasium, the pool, the campus wall, the recreation room in Scripps Hall, the second-floor rooms on the east side of Bentham Hall and the completion of the Chapel. She requested the architectural design and construction of the Bishop Johnson Tower. During her second decade as headmistress, the Wheeler J. Bailey Library was completed, Cuvier Street was closed to traffic, and the transepts and baptistery were added to St. Mary’s Chapel. Miss Cummins led the School during the difficult period of World War II, maintaining normal academic standards and school programs. Although she retired at the end of the 1952-1953 school year, she continued to live nearby and visited the campus often.
Marguerite Barton was raised in Boston oversaw the Allen Brown Library of Music at the Boston Public Library for over a decade and taught English at the Cambridge School for Young Ladies. Miss Barton arrived at Bishop’s near the end of World War I. A troubled economy was about to turn around, but building had been held off on in the wake of the war. Miss Barton was the first to have the title “headmistress."
Margaret Gilman was the principal of the Lincoln School from 1889-1911 and the head of the Whitman Hall Dorm at Radcliffe in 1911. Bishop Johnson brought Margaret to Bishop’s after Anna Bentham’s death in 1915. Though she was never a student at the Cambridge School for Young Ladies, Miss Gilman favored many of their practices, including uniforms. Held in high esteem by Bishop Johnson, he asked that the new building under construction – Gilman Hall - be named for her when it was dedicated in 1917. Miss Gilman also oversaw the construction of St. Mary’s Chapel.
Anna Bentham taught school in the East before moving to Los Angeles to head the English department at the Marlborough School. Bishop Johnson’s initial concept was to create a school in Sierra Madre and, in 1907, he choose Anna and her husband the to head the project. When the location of the proposed school changed, the Benthams moved to La Jolla. Mrs. Bentham oversaw the day school from its rented boarding house and cottage on Fifth Ave in 1909 to its first new structure on Redwood Ave. At the same time, plans were moving forward for the first building on the La Jolla campus, Scripps Hall, which opened in late 1910. Realizing a need for additional facilities in La Jolla, a second building – Bentham Hall - was planned and dedicated in 1912.
THE BISHOP’S SCHOOL7607 La Jolla Boulevard La Jolla, CA 92037 (858) 459-4021
The Bishop’s School is an independent, coeducational college-preparatory day school for students in grades six through twelve who live throughout San Diego County. Founded in 1909, the School is affiliated with the Episcopal church.