Position Title: Instrumental Music Faculty
Department: Performing Arts
Reports to: Division Head(s)
Status: Full-time; Exempt
Position Commences: August 2019
Founded in 1909 and affiliated with the Episcopal Church, The Bishop’s School is an independent, coeducational college preparatory day school for 800 students in grades six through twelve located on a historic campus in the heart of La Jolla, just 10 miles north of downtown San Diego. With the student-teacher ratio at 9 to 1, Bishop’s is known for academic, artistic and athletic excellence while celebrating diversity and inclusion. This year’s applicant pool drew from 72 zip codes and 168 schools throughout San Diego County and beyond. Students of color make up more than 48 percent of the student population and more than $3 million is awarded in financial aid annually.
The Bishop’s School seeks a full-time instrumental music teacher for jazz band and strings/orchestra classes at the middle and upper school levels to begin August 2019. Students in the instrumental music program range from those who have just begun instrumental study to those who have many years of instrumental training.
The instrumental music teacher is the primary instrumental music teacher at the School, and has responsibility for developing the program, assembling the curriculum, and identifying opportunities for the program’s growth. The instrumental music teacher is a member of the performing arts department and works closely with other members of the department to plan events, coordinate schedules, share facilities, represent the department at different school-related functions, and support each other at rehearsals and performances. Some rehearsals and performances occur after the school day and on Saturdays.
In addition to teaching, faculty responsibilities include serving as an advisor to students and other specific duties outside of the classroom, which includessupervising some events, holding office hours and participating in committee work.
Desired Skills and Abilities
● Familiarity with a wide range of musical styles, traditions and works
● Ability to identify appropriate music for student groups and provide positive and clear instruction to them
● Willingness and ability to work with young musicians of wide-ranging musical ability, from beginner to advanced
● Dedication to excellence in music performance as well as music pedagogy
● Willingness to try new things; flexible, can-do attitude and positive mindset
● Ability to communicate effectively and in a timely fashion with students, parents, faculty, staff and administrators
● Strong work ethic and interpersonal skills
● Ability to function and collaborate effectively as part of a team; willingness to work and consult with the other members of the department
● An unequivocal passion for working with adolescents and supporting them in all facets of their lives
● Irrespective of own religious orientation, ability to support the School’s mission and values as a school founded in the Episcopal tradition
A bachelor’s degree in music or a related field is required. Strong candidates will have a master’s degree or higher in music performance and/or music education, possess experience directing both small and large student instrumental ensembles, and have a minimum of five years of teaching experience in a school setting.
The Bishop’s School offers competitive compensation including a full benefits package and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, interested candidates should submit a cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three professional references (including name, phone number, and email address) to email@example.com.