Historical Highlights

Founded in 1909 as a girls boarding school affiliated with the Episcopal Church, The Bishop’s School’s original focus was to prepare young women for education at “the best Eastern colleges.” As a coeducational independent day school today, Bishop’s continues to grow in excellence, providing students a comprehensive education that inspires passion and curiosity.
1909    The Right Reverend Joseph Horsfall Johnson, Bishop of Los Angeles, founded The Bishop’s School. A day school opened in Bankers Hill while a boarding school was planned for La Jolla. Money and land for La Jolla campus donated by founders Ellen Browning Scripps and Eliza Virginia Scripps.
1910    The first graduating class received diplomas. Scripps Hall, designed by Irving Gill, dedicated.
1912    Bentham Hall, designed by Irving Gill, dedicated.
1913    The Bishop’s School’s first athletic teams were founded: “Harvard” and “Yale.”
1917    Gilman Hall, designed by Irving Gill, completed. St. Mary’s Chapel, designed by Carleton Monroe Winslow, dedicated.
1920    Names of sports teams changed to “Purple” and “Gold” to honor Ellen Browning Scripps’ alma mater, Knox College. 
1923    The first student council was formed. A graduating senior was awarded the Loyalty Cup for exemplifying the motto of the School: Simplicity, Serenity, Sincerity.
1928    The School was enclosed by a wall to provide privacy and safety from traffic.
1930    Second floor added to Bentham Hall. Bishop Johnson Tower added to St. Mary’s Chapel.
1932    The first school newspaper, The Junior Journal, began. It was later named Sahatika (1944-74), and The Tower (1978-present).
1934    Architect Carleton Monroe Winslow designed the Wheeler J. Bailey building.
1941    The School joined the California Association of Independent Schools.
1946    The first T-Day mascots appeared: the Purple Monkey and the Golden Bear.
1956    The School’s Cum Laude Society chapter was established.
1959    The Bishop’s School celebrates its 50th anniversary. Architect John Robert Mosher and Roy Morse Drew designed Cummins Hall. 
1969    Ellen Browning Scripps Hall, designed by Mosher & Drew, was completed.
1971    The Bishop’s School merged with San Miguel School for Boys.
1978    Summer school held for the first time.
1981    Board of Trustees announced the decision to close the boarding program at the end of 1982-83.
1983    T-Day held for the last time. The Eva May Fleet Athletic Center, the Rutherford Science Wing and the Manchester Tennis Center dedicated. Cummins Hall converted into classrooms.
1984    The Bishop’s School celebrated its 75th Anniversary.
1986    The Parents’ Association held the first annual auction.
1995    The Taylor Performing Arts Center dedicated.
1996    The Emily Fenton Hunte Black ’28 Computer Center dedicated.
1997    The Alex G. Spanos Athletic Field at Kate Session Elementary School dedicated.
2004    McCain Family Aquatic Center and Buddy & Barbara Murfey Memorial Pool dedicated.
2005    Parking garage and athletic fields constructed. 
2007    The Wall Street Journal selects The Bishop’s School as one of the top 40 high schools in the country to send students to selective colleges.
2008    Science center named Michael & Marlene Teitelman Science Center.
2012    Manchester Library & Learning Center dedicated.

2014    The yearlong renovation of Ellen Browning Scripps Hall was completed in the fall of 2014. Built in 1969, this facility houses the School's kitchen and dining facilities, vocal and instrumental music studios and classrooms, and offices for the dean of students, counselor and nurse. 

THE BISHOP’S SCHOOL     7607 La Jolla Boulevard     La Jolla, CA 92037     (858) 459-4021
The Bishop’s School is an independent, coeducational college-preparatory day school for students in grades six through twelve who live throughout San Diego County. Founded in 1909, the School is affiliated with the Episcopal church.